Saturday, March 31, 2007

TECHNOLOGY AND TIME MANAGEMENT


Without a doubt, technology is changing the way we live and do business. For some of us, it represents little more than a new source of frustration. But if we take the time to master the many features of the (expensive) gadgets that surround us, we can take advantage of their time-saving, productivity-boosting capabilities.

Richard G. Ensman, in his 2000 article, Technology and Time Management, recognizes the many ways technology can help us manage our time. Each question in his quiz represents a “simple, yet tried-and-true method of timesaving technology."

On a scale of zero (never) to three (always), rate how often you practice the following timesaving methods.

1. I send agendas, meeting minutes, assignment summaries and other notices to co-workers and employees using e-mail.

2. I maintain working files in a single, readily accessible directory, enabling me to work on current projects whenever I have spare moments.

3. I maintain a perpetual “to-do” list on a computerized task manager or in a special file, checking off items as they are completed.

4. I maintain my calendar and other key information using portable digital technology.

5. I have software that maintains my key organizational resources, such as contacts, tasks, events, and crucial records.

6. I append the names of files with dates for easy retrieval.

7. My computer file structure corresponds to the file structure in my filing cabinet.

8. I maintain a directory and bookmarks of commonly used reference materials.

9. I use shortcuts, such as templates and macros, to speed up my work.

10. I handle business transactions online.

I encourage you to read the full article, and consider the technological practices represented in all 29 questions. Your total score represents how well you use the timesaving technology at hand. If your rating is low - under 50 for the complete quiz - Ensman suggests reviewing each principle, reading up on the newest technology, and maybe taking a course or seminar to learn new skills.

Most importantly, Ensman reminds us that technological tools will increasingly influence our work and personal lives in the coming years. Mastering these tools can help us master our time, and ultimately our lives.

3 comments:

LauraM said...

This is really interesting! I have a friend who teaches in the Computer Science and Information Systems department, and he and I were just talking about how important it is for students to know how to be smart users of technology (that goes for all of us, not just students)--and time management and organization skills are a big part of that, especially when it comes to managing files on the computer or in an e-mail account. Even though I consider myself well organized, I struggle with the influx of e-mails that I get on a daily basis. Some days I feel like I'm digging in the sand.

Don Gammill, Jr. said...

Over the past four years at my current job, I've learned more about time management than ever before, and it hasn't always been easy.

A natural born procrastinator, I was, to some extent, drug "kicking and screaming" into a new paradigm of time management - one driven by technology.

Now, I can honestly say that this quiz referenced by your blog does a great job of pulling back the curtain and showing me exactly how much more there is for me to learn! And now, given my positive experience with technology-driven time management, I can much better appreciate the potential for great efficiency many of the things listed could offer.

Stephanie Richards said...

This information is really helpful, especially for people who run their own business. I am still trying to get the hang of finding time-saving ways to do things, and this post is full of practical ideas that I can use!