Friday, March 23, 2007

FITTING IT ALL IN

Do you ever have more than 24 hours of to-do-list items? Have you tried to cram too much into your day? It's like trying to squeeze our "misses" body into those "junior" jeans - there's just too much!

Today, my jeans are too tight. I’m being pulled in too many directions and I've overloaded my plate. (Are you seeing a pattern?) A family birthday, a volleyball tournament, a homework project, a PTSA awards program, camp registration, a sick friend, my volunteer job, and my real job, all have to fit somewhere in my weekend.

It’s a stressful time, any way you cut it. We’ve all been here. In fact, we’ve been here before, and we’ll be here again. (Why is that?)

Whatever the reason, we need some strategies to keep us sane, and help us accomplish all we’ve put on our plates. Here’s a few that work for me.

· Break tasks into very small pieces, so that you can take advantage of five- and ten-minute windows, instead of holding out for that hour and a half block that never comes.

· Eat right. No excuses! It doesn’t take any longer to munch on something healthy - like an apple, a yogurt cup, or peanut butter on whole wheat toast – than to scarf down a handful of chips and soda. During times of stress, your body needs good nutrition more than ever.

· Find ways to multi-task. Can you read that report or fill out paperwork while you sit in the doctor’s office or carpool line? Just a little pre-planning can help you feel like Superman.

· Ask for help, and delegate what you can. In most cases, some task has to be done – that’s all. If it's not done exactly the way you would have done it – let it go! Of course, if you cannot tolerate any variations, you may need to delegate a different task.

I hope these ideas offer some relief.
Moreover, I hope you’ll post your own ideas, for others to try.

At the very least, visit www.Zafu.com to find jeans with the perfect fit. (At least we can control some things!)

Much may be done in those little shreds and patches of time which every day produces, and which most men throw away.

~ Charles Caleb Colton

1 comment:

2catz said...

Trying to cram everything into a 24-hr day seems impossible for so many folks these days. Your tips are so right!

I try to multi-task as much as I can. It seems like I can truly get things done much faster when I also break up tasks into smaller "portions" at home. When I gripe about not having time to workout and get the housework done, I turn on great music and knock out a few tasks. Hey, at least I'm up and moving, so I can kind of justify this as some workout time!